Bright White Heat Stable Pipeable Buttercream
This bright white heat stable pipeable buttercream is perfect for those warmer days and for those cakes you want iced with super white frosting. This buttercream is also perfect for piping. Plus it actually tastes good!
Prep Time20 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 3 cups vegetable shortening (preferably high ratio shortening if you have access to that. If no longer available, just use regular vegetable shortening.)
- 9-10 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp meringue powder (optional for more stability and holding power)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6-8 tbsp milk or cream
- 2 tsp clear vanilla extract (can use regular vanilla extract if you don't have clear)
- 1/2-1 tsp butter extract/emulsion (LorAnn oils has a good option)
- 1/2-1 tsp LorAnn buttery dough extract/emulsion (optional)
Mix shortening until smooth.
Add in the salt, 4 cups confectioners sugar and 3 Tbsp milk and mix well.
Optional: If you want to add in a couple tablespoons of meringue powder for extra stability, you can do that now.
Add in another 5 cups confectioners sugar plus another 3 Tbsp milk and mix well.
Scrape down sides of bowl. Add a tablespoon or two of milk or cream if the buttercream is too thick. Mix well.
Add in the extracts and mix well.
Add more milk if icing is too thick. Add in only a tablespoon at a time. Mix well.
Finally, mix by hand with a rubber spatula to help press out any air bubbles.
This recipe makes enough to cover 2, 8" round cakes
This recipe will make enough buttercream to cover two, 8" round cakes.
This is a crusting buttercream, so make sure to keep your container of buttercream covered. It does not need to be refrigerated and can be left out on the counter for several days.
If you want to keep it longer, you can pop it in the fridge and it'll be good for a week, or slightly longer.
Lorann oils has all these types of butter emulsions. Try some out and see what you like best. The grocery store version of butter extract is not good. Do yourself a favor and pay a little extra to get a good tasting flavoring.
Calories: 647kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 83mg | Potassium: 7mg | Sugar: 70g | Vitamin A: 10IU | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.1mg