Hi, I’m Kara Jane and I am so glad you’re here!
I am a born and raised Texan and if you ever hear a single word come out of my mouth, you would know that right off. I blame my sweet Dad for my heavy Texas accent. He was a rancher and what you would call a real cowboy.
I live in East Texas with my miniature dachshund, Coco. She thinks I’m HER pet. I also have one adult son, who lives on his own. He’s really smart and funny, if I do say so myself. #proudmom
My obsession with cake:
Growing up, my mother was a wedding planner and decorator. She could make a floral bow like nobody’s business. I never have been able to master it as well as she did. Her business partner was the cake decorator and that’s what truly interested me. I helped out at countless weddings (your kids are free labor, right?) and I literally grew up eating wedding cake on a regular basis.
If I could have cake with every meal, I would. I am obsessed with cake…all kinds of flavor combinations as well as new and out of the ordinary ways to decorate them. I’ve read cookbooks (mainly the baking sections) like novels generally my whole life. I’m super obsessed with the science behind cake baking.
I’ve spent countless hours experimenting with recipes, flavor combinations, cake decorating techniques, taking cake baking and decorating courses and just generally immersing myself in all things cake related. I told ya…I really am obsessed with cake. 😉
I owned my own cake business for awhile, which included baking cakes from scratch and creating custom cakes for birthdays, anniversaries, weddings and more. I ultimately decided I just wanted to have fun with cake, not be on deadlines and I wanted to lower my stress level, so I decided to start this blog.
I have lots of cake and baking ideas, some of them useful little tidbits, some decorating ideas are challenging and others are just strange and definitely out of the ordinary. I started this blog to share those ideas with you and I hope you enjoy reading about them and trying them out.
Some of my cakes, recipes, or baking tips have even been shared by:
Who is this site for?
Well, first, if you’re as obsessed with cake as I am, then it’s definitely for you. Even if you’re not as obsessed, and you’d just like to learn some cake decorating skills, get some cool ideas and be creative with me, then it’s for you too.
My goal is to help you along the way with ideas, tips, techniques and recipes, so you’ll be able to create unique cakes for your family, friends and clients.
I think caking should be fun…not stressful.
Cakes aren’t meant to be stressful…Cakes are for parties!
I love spreading the message that yes, YOU can create unique and memorable cakes and cupcakes. Do something creative, have pride in it and make someone happy today!
Creating edible works of art is just half the fun. Seeing someone’s face light up when they receive it is the ultimate ‘feel good’ medicine.
Where to start?
- First, you’ll want to subscribe to the blog, so you don’t miss any new tutorials that come out. It’s free to do so and you’ll get a cool printable: 7 Tips to Make Your Cakes Look Professional. You can sign up here:
- You can find all my cake decorating tutorials here and my recipes here.
- If you’re interested in learning to make fondant ruffles, I’ve got a FREE mini course. Go here to check it out: Making Fondant Ruffles. By the end of the course, you’ll be able to create three different fondant ruffle cakes and yes, it’s totally FREE.
- If you’re a beginner in the cake decorating world and have found that it’s a pain to find all the answers to your caking questions in one place, you’ll want to check out my course: Cake Decorating Fundamentals – The Nitty Gritty Basics of Buttercream Cakes. It’s affordable and the cool thing is that it’s got all my best tips and techniques all in a step-by-step format.
- If you’re having trouble trying to determine a timeline for your cake projects, or you’re just new to planning out your cakes, you’ll want to check out my cake project planning course here: Cake Project Planning Plus The Ultimate Cake Project Planner.
- And if you’re still just thirsty for more fun stuff…you can check out 30 random things about me below.
30 Random Things About Me:
- I’ll answer to Kara or Kara Jane. Just don’t call me K.J.
- I was called Possum by my family until I was about sixteen.
- My favorite candy is sour patch kids. I’ll eat them until my tongue is raw.
- I can’t wear fingernail polish because it feels like my nails are sweating.
- Nothing makes me angrier than people who treat others badly. Be kind, even if you have to fake it sometimes.
- I was painfully shy as a kid. People thought I was being snobby, but I was just scared. I’m still very much an introvert.
- I’m not related to anyone in my family. (I was adopted as a baby…I just like to say it that way because it throws people off a little.)
- My parents worked at a Children’s Home and we lived there until I was seventeen. (By the way, there is no shortage of kids to play with when you live at a children’s home.)
- I cannot stand clutter. It makes my mind feel cluttered and anxious. I am horrified by the hoarders show.
- Both my parents have passed and I miss them terribly.
- I was a twirler in junior high and high school. I actually twirled fire as well. (That was even more dangerous, since this was in the early ’90s and we used a ton of hairspray.)
- I played the alto saxophone for about five years…wouldn’t know what to do with it if I picked one up now.
- I’m not interested in cooking. I know, scandalous. I love baking, but cooking is something totally different to me.
- I have a grown son. He’s funny and turned out great, in spite of me naming him after a character from the Ninja Turtles movie. (But that Casey was so cool, right?)
- The food I hate the most is beets.
- When I was a kid, I wasn’t allowed to watch any show or movie that had magic in it. Now I watch the Harry Potter movies on replay.
- My Dad fixed us up old go-karts and other ATVs. It’s a wonder I survived to adulthood.
- I almost died choking on a jelly bean. No joke. I had to give myself the Heimlich maneuver. Now I refuse to eat the raspberry ones. Want to know what goes through your mind when you’re about to die choking on a jelly bean? It’s this, “Really? This is the way I’m gonna go?”
- I love eating marshmallow fluff and peanut butter mixed together. I do this way too often.
- I watch The Office, Seinfeld and How I Met Your Mother on continuous rotation.
- I have an associates degree in paralegal studies and a half started public administration one.
- My favorite song is Purple Rain. I can’t explain what it does to me.
- I get mad at movies when I think they are purposely trying to make me cry.
- After cake, my second favorite food is cheesecake (I guess technically that’s still cake although it’s more like a pie to me).
- My favorite color is green. It reminds me of life.
- I won’t get into an elevator.
- I don’t like steak. If you say that too loud here in Texas, you might get hurt.
- I hate that I have such a strong Texas accent. I’ve tried correcting it, but it doesn’t do any good.
- My favorite movies are any of the Harry Potters, Office Space and the movie Speed. Yeah, I know that’s a weird combination.
- Sometimes I am so sarcastic and dry that others don’t know I’m joking. People have told me it might help if I smile after I make a joke, but I think that ruins the delivery. 🙂 See?
7 EASY TIPS TO GET PROFESSIONAL LOOKING CAKES!
Grab the guide: 7 Tips to Make Your Cakes Look Professional PLUS access to the subscriber-only resource library!
Plus you’ll get free cake tips & recipes in your inbox every week!