Besides cake, cream cheese is my favorite food and when you put it on top of cake, well, I just don’t know a better combination. This buttercream is smooth and creamy with a good, healthy dose of cream cheese. Cream Cheese Buttercream is definitely on my favorite list.
My obsession with cream cheese started early on. I would get a prize if I got the honor roll in school and do you know what I asked for? Cheesecake. No, I’m really serious. My Mom made the best no-bake cheesecake. It certainly wasn’t gourmet, but it was my favorite. (By the way, if you’re interested in that recipe, comment below and I’ll be happy to write a recipe post.)
So as you can see, I’ve always loved cream cheese. It’s wonderful on a cake with fruit in the ingredients and it’s also terrific on red velvet cakes and spice cakes.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I will receive a referral commission, at no additional cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Enough of my talking…on to the recipe: (And if you keep scrolling, you can download a cute printable recipe card.)
Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 1 cup room temperature unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 2 8 oz. pkgs cream cheese
- 1 tbsp milk can add another tablespoon if needed
- 6 cups powdered sugar can add another cup if needed to thicken it up
- 1 tsp vanilla extract can add an extra teaspoon for even more flavor
- Mix your butter and cream cheese together in a mixing bowl.
- Add three cups of powdered sugar and 1 - 2 tablespoons of milk and mix well.
- Add in the next three cups of powdered sugar plus the vanilla extract and mix well. Check your consistency. If the buttercream feels too thin, add another cup of powdered sugar. If it's feels too thick, just add in another teaspoon to tablespoon of milk and mix again.
And if you’d like the printable recipe cards, just enter your email below:
By the way, I won’t judge you if you don’t even put this on a cake and just eat it straight out of the bowl. If you know me at all…you know I have a habit of doing that 😉
Ok, let me know how you like it and if you’d like me to post my Mom’s easy no-bake cheesecake recipe.
‘Til next time!
PIN IT HERE! –>