Are you a pumpkin fan? It’s “everything pumpkin season” right now and I wanted to join the party by sharing my pumpkin buttercream recipe with you. This is THE buttercream if you’re a huge fan of pumpkin.
Now, when adding this to a cake or cupcakes, personally I’d add it to a cinnamon or vanilla cake instead of pumpkin cake. That will give a little flavor variation. An idea I had was to add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to my Favorite Vanilla Bean Cake recipe, then topping with the pumpkin buttercream. Oh, yum!
But if you can never get enough pumpkin and you want to add it to a pumpkin cake, I say go for it!
Oh, and y’all know how I roll…I’m also not against eating it straight out of the mixing bowl.
Ok, let’s get straight to the recipe. By the way, after mixing it up, you’ll want to pop it in the fridge for about twenty minutes to firm it up a bit. This buttercream is on the softer side, so if you want to pipe on cupcakes with it, you’ll need to let it firm up just a bit.
And if you are covering an entire cake instead of cupcakes, you’ll probably want to double the recipe.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) room temperature
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick) room temperature
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar can add an extra cup if needed to thicken it up
- Add all the butter to a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add in the pumpkin, the spices and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add in four cups of powdered sugar and beat until well mixed. I found that I didn't need to add any milk to it, but if your buttercream is a little too soft, add in another cup of powdered sugar and mix well.
Would you like this recipe in a cute recipe card format? Enter your email below to grab it. You’ll actually get two recipe card sizes.
PIN IT HERE! –>
GET MY 5 FAVORITE BUTTERCREAM RECIPES!
Never miss a post! Get on the free newsletter list by entering your email, and grab this handy printable: 5 Favorite Buttercream Recipes!
Plus you’ll get free cake tips & recipes in your inbox once per week AND access to the subscriber-only resource library.