This melted ice cream chocolate chip cake is so easy to make yet it’s insanely moist and yummy. With only a few ingredients, this cake comes together quickly. It’s one of those no-fail cakes you’ll make over and over and it’s perfect for an easy summer treat.
Hey there! Before you scroll, there’s lot’s of important stuff in the post!…including the FAQ section, which may answer any questions you might have about this recipe. Enjoy!
You won’t believe how easy this one is and how moist and yummy it is.
The base of this cake is made with a cake mix…don’t hang up on me yet, just hear me out. If you’re mostly a scratch baker…I am too, so I feel ya…,but I’m telling you though, you won’t know this cake is based off a cake mix when you eat it.
Plus it comes together so quickly, you’ll want to make it over and over because it’s one of those ‘no fail’ kind of cakes.
Let’s Talk About Some of the Ingredients in this Melted Ice Cream Cake:
Yellow Cake Mix: I used a yellow cake mix. Trust me on this one. I love the flavor of a yellow cake and using a chocolate cake here, would just be too much of a chocolate overload. The yellow cake combined with the melted chocolate ice cream just gives you the perfect flavor.
Ice Cream: I went with melted chocolate ice cream. It gives the yellow cake a touch of chocolate flavor, but not too much, since we’ll also be adding in milk chocolate chips.
I used Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate, because…um…I’m in the South and because Blue Bell is life down here. I’m not sure there is anything better than Blue Bell Dutch Chocolate, or Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla.
Milk Chocolate Chips: I decided to add in some milk chocolate chips because those just make anything better, right?
Mixing Method for this Cake:
This cake is just about the easiest cake to mix up. You’ll just be adding everything to a bowl, mixing well and then stirring in the chocolate chips.
Tips & FAQs for the Melted Ice Cream Cake:
I used Blue Bell, but you can use any type of good quality ice cream. You need it to be real ice cream though and not low fat. Make sure to use the entire pint of ice cream.
Just set the ice cream on your counter and let it melt. Now don’t go leaving it out for hours…gross. Just enough to get it melted. You can put it into a bowl and stir it and it’ll melt faster.
I used Duncan Hines yellow cake mix. You may be able to use other brands, but I’ve had better luck with Duncan Hines.
No, you don’t, but it does give it more flavor.
You can also coat them with a little flour. This all will help them not sink to the bottom of the cake pan while baking.
No. If you don’t have it, you can omit it. It just adds a little sweetness, shine and firms it up a bit.
If you heat them too long, it will harden up.
Supplies Used to Make this Cake:
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. You can see links to my website policies in the footer.
Ok let’s get to the recipe!
**By the way, this recipe was developed and tested using volume measurements (cups etc.). I do this because most people are used to measuring, instead of weighing. You may use the metric converter button to see the weight (gram) measurements. Those numbers are estimates on weight. Your results may vary a bit if you use the weight measurements.
Melted Ice Cream Chocolate Chip Cake
For the cake:
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a bundt pan very well.
- Take your ice cream out of the freezer and let it melt. You can add it to a bowl and stir to melt it quicker.
- Meanwhile, take the milk chocolate chips and pulse them just a few times in a food processor if you have one. If not, just add them to a plastic bag and hit a few times with a rolling pin to bust them up a bit. This will help to keep them from sinking while baking. Set them aside for now.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yellow cake mix, melted ice cream and eggs. Mix well for a minute or two.
- Add in a couple teaspoons of flour to the chocolate chips and stir to coat, then fold the milk chocolate chips into the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for about 20 minutes. Then turn out onto the rack or a cake plate and cool completely before adding glaze.
For the glaze:
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter in the microwave or on the stove. Heat only until melted, being careful not to scorch. If microwaving, heat for 45 seconds, stir well and if not melted fully, then heat at another 10 seconds. Cool the melted chocolate slightly (almost to room temp) before adding the other ingredients.
- Add in the remaining glaze ingredients and drizzle over the cake.
GET THE FREE DESIGNED PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR THE MELTED ICE CREAM CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE PLUS THE PASSWORD TO THE RESOURCE LIBRARY. Just fill out the form below!
Other Posts You Might Like:
Don’t Forget to Pin it Below!