Oh that banana pudding…a Southern staple and oh so delicious. What could be better? Not much, but this banana pudding cake might rival it. Yep I’ve turned that Southern favorite into, you guessed it…cake!
I LOVE banana pudding, but here’s something weird. I can’t really eat it because I’m allergic to bananas. I know, I know. It’s horrible. Here’s the really weird thing though. I’m only allergic to ‘raw’ bananas. If they’re baked in something, I’m totally fine.
Anyone else have that problem? I actually have it with a number of fruits and vegetables. Something to do with pollen proteins, or something scientific like that. Basically what it means is I can’t have the ‘real’ banana pudding because it’s got sliced bananas in it. Tell me I’m not alone in this.
I can definitely eat this banana pudding cake though! And I’m not sharin’ how many pieces of it I actually DID eat! Now that would just be embarrassing.
Ok, I’ll quit boring you with my weird allergies and actually get right down to the cake recipe. This banana pudding cake is actually a moist banana cake on the bottom, then topped with a creamy banana pudding and cream cheese topping.
Then you’ll be adding vanilla wafers to the top to finish it off.
Here’s a tip: After you’ve added the vanilla wafers, pop this puppy in the fridge for a couple hours…that way, when you’re ready to eat it, the vanilla wafers will have soaked up some of the topping and they’ll be nice and moist. So yummy!
Ok, let’s get to it. Here’s the recipe and don’t forget to check out the video below on how to make it.
Banana Pudding Cake
For the cake:
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups bananas mashed about 3 bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup oil
For the icing:
- 1 small package instant banana pudding mix
- 1/2 cup milk preferable whole milk
- 1 8 oz. pkg. softened cream cheese
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 5 cups confectioners sugar
- 5 oz Vanilla wafer cookies some whole and some crushed (about 1/2 a box)
For the cake:
- Grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch glass pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon) in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, bananas, lemon juice, vanilla extract and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix, just until combined.
- Pour into the pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 min.
- Cool completely before adding the topping.
For the icing:
- In a bowl, mix together the banana pudding mix and the milk.
- Mix until thick and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the cream cheese until smooth. Add in the room temperature butter and mix well. Add in the confectioners sugar and mix well.
- Add in the pudding mixture and mix well.
- Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
Putting the cake together:
- Spread the icing over the cooled cake. Add whole vanilla wafers around the edge of the cake and sprinkle the remaining area with crushed vanilla wafers.
- Keep chilled in the fridge. It's best to let the cake and icing set up for a couple hours, so the vanilla wafers have time to soften a bit.
Items/Tools for the Banana Pudding Cake:
More banana recipes on the blog:
PIN IT HERE!–>
GET PROFESSIONAL LOOKING CAKES WITH THESE SIMPLE TIPS!
Plus you’ll get free cake tips & recipes in your inbox every week!