This easy double chocolate sour cream cake is super easy to mix together and bakes up the same every time. It starts with a box mix, but you add other ingredients which really makes the difference. If you are hesitant to use a box mix, don’t be. They are so predictable, unlike a scratch cake…which is a good thing. With all the added ingredients, it doesn’t taste at all like a cake mix cake, but you get the ease of using a mix.
I will admit, when I was taking cake orders, I used a scratch cake recipe. It was truly awesome, but I will tell you no matter how good you are, sometimes a scratch cake just doesn’t turn out the same every single time.
This cake is a ‘no-worries’ cake. Try it out! I think you’ll love it.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. You can see my policies linked in the website footer.
Confession time: Chocolate cake isn’t my favorite. I’m more of a vanilla kind of person, but this chocolate cake is amazing and if I’m saying that, then it REALLY means something. Make this cake using my Double Chocolate Buttercream recipe and you will be in chocolate heaven.
Also, check out this post to see how to freeze cakes and cupcakes. Oh, and this recipe also makes great cupcakes!
Now for the Easy Double Chocolate Sour Cream Cake Recipe:
Easy Double Chocolate Cake
- 1 box chocolate Cake Mix I used Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge
- 1 cup all Purpose Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 ⅓ cup luke warm coffee make sure it isn't super hot
- 2 Tbls oil
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 4 oz melted semi-sweet chocolate I use a baking bar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt the semi sweet chocolate and set aside to cool.
- Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients (except the chocolate), then pour onto the dry ingredients.
- Beat on medium speed for about one minute.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat again on medium for another 30 seconds.
- Pour in the melted chocolate and mix on medium, just until combined.
- Pour into greased and floured pans. This recipe will be enough for 2, 8" round pans that are 2" deep.
- Bake at 325 for about 45 minutes.
- Set the cake layers on racks for 10 minutes, then turn out of the pans onto the wire racks to cool completely.
I'd love for you to share this recipe link, but please do not share screenshots or copy/paste the recipe to social media as the content and photographs are copyright protected and us bloggers work really hard on our content. Sharing the link and pinning it is super appreciated though!
Don’t Forget to Pin it for Later!
GET MY 5 FAVORITE BUTTERCREAM RECIPES!
Never miss a post! Get on the free newsletter list by entering your email, and grab this handy printable: 5 Favorite Buttercream Recipes!
Plus you’ll get free cake tips & recipes in your inbox every week!