This delicious fluffy marshmallow frosting is the perfect white icing recipe for cakes and cupcakes. You’ll use marshmallow fluff and there’s no egg whites in this frosting recipe. It’s super easy and quick to make and there’s not a ton of ingredients. It’s insanely good on coconut cake, chocolate cupcakes, or you might just want to eat this one directly out of the bowl!
There isn’t much that I love more than crackin’ open a jar of marshmallow creme and digging straight into it with a spoon. Ok, it does get better when you add peanut butter to it, but that’s not what we’re doing today.
Anyway, my point is I’m totally fine just eating marshmallow fluff out of the jar, but you can’t just throw some marshmallow fluff onto a cake and it work out. I mean I guess you could, but I feel like it just needs a little somethin’.
Here’s where the fluffy marshmallow frosting comes in. We’re adding in some cream cheese, butter, vanilla and of course some confectioner’s sugar (but not too much as to over power everything).
Then you’ll whip it all up until it’s all super light and fluffy.
I added this frosting to my pineapple coconut cake, but it would also taste amazing on some chocolate cupcakes. (And I will be the first to admit that I don’t even need to put it on anything but a spoon.)
TIPS & FAQs FOR MAKING THE FLUFFY MARSHMALLOW FROSTING:
- Yes, you do want to actually add in the cream cheese. They tanginess cuts the sweetness a bit. The same goes for the salt.
- What is the difference between marshmallow creme and marshmallow fluff? I don’t think there’s any difference at all. I use the two terms interchangeably. Marshmallow creme does sounds fancier though, right?
- Try to get your cream cheese and butter close to room temperature, so they’ll mix together better.
- If you don’t have vanilla bean paste, not big deal, you can use vanilla extract.
- This recipe will not make a ton of frosting. It’s a really sweet frosting, so you won’t want to add a ton to your cupcakes or your cake. It makes the perfect amount to cover around 2 dozen cupcakes, or a two layer, 8″ cake that is filled with a different filling.
- If you’ll be using this to frost the outside of the cake AND as the filling between the layers, you may want to double the recipe.
SUPPLIES & TOOLS USED TO MAKE THE FLUFFY MARSHMALLOW FROSTING:
- Stand Mixer or Handheld Mixer
- Flex Edge Beater Attachment
- Marshmallow Creme
- Vanilla Bean Paste
- Icing Spatula
Fluffy Marshmallow Frosting
- 1 8 oz pkg. cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 13 oz jar of marshmallow fluff
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- In a mixing bowl, add the butter and cream cheese. Beat on medium until smooth.
- Add in the marshmallow fluff and beat on medium until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla extract and the pinch of salt. Mix on medium until incorporated.
- Add in two cups of the confectioners sugar and beat on medium until smooth.
- Add in the last two cups of confectioners sugar and beat on medium until well mixed and fluffy.
- Place in the fridge for about 20 minutes, or so for it to firm up a bit before piping onto cupcakes or adding to cake.
GET THE FREE DESIGNED PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR THE FLUFFY MARSHMALLOW FROSTING PLUS THE PASSWORD TO THE RESOURCE LIBRARY. Just fill out the form below!
WANT TO SAVE THIS? CLICK HERE OR ON ONE OF THE PIN IMAGES BELOW TO SAVE THIS POST TO YOUR FAVORITE FROSTING & BUTTERCREAM PINTEREST BOARD.
GET PROFESSIONAL LOOKING CAKES WITH THESE SIMPLE TIPS!
Plus you’ll get free cake tips & recipes in your inbox every week!