This whipped cream cheese frosting is a super light and fluffy icing. With only a few ingredients, it comes together easily and is the perfect way to top cupcakes or cakes.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I will receive a referral commission, at no additional cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve noticed that people really like the whipped style of frosting. I’m not into that grocery store whipped icing. That stuff is just whipped up shortening anyway. To me it doesn’t even seem like it goes with cake, but that’s just my opinion.
Anyway, I wanted to come up with a super fluffy, whipped icing that was similar, but that would be made with some really tasty ingredients and would be a little more stable.
The cream cheese makes this whipped cream icing more stable than other frostings made with just heavy whipping cream. Plus the tanginess of the cream cheese cuts the sweetness a bit, so it’s not overly sweet like other frostings can be.
This frosting recipe is only four ingredients, plus the pinch of salt.
You’ll be using whipping cream to ‘fluff’ everything up. Now, whipping cream is also called heavy cream in some areas. You don’t want to use cool whip though…that’s not going to be as creamy and it won’t turn out the same.
Pay attention to the mixing method on this one. It’s not complicated, but you’ll be mixing in the whipping cream a small amount at a time.
TIPS& FAQs FOR MAKING THE WHIPPED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- I haven’t tested this with low fat cream cheese. I mean you’re about to eat frosting…just go for the gusto here.
- You’ll need whipping cream. (Not whipped cream…that’s different.) Whipping cream is also called heavy cream in some locations. I’m not sure what it’s called in other countries though. You won’t be able to whip a milk or cream that doesn’t have a higher fat content.
- Add your whipping cream (heavy cream) cold. Use a metal bowl that is cold if you have one. That helps when whipping it up. You’ll also want to make sure to add in your cream in small amounts at a time like the recipe indicates, so that you don’t get any clumpiness going on in your frosting.
- This is super easy and fast with a stand mixer, but you don’t have to have one. It’s completely do-able with a hand mixer.
- Make sure if you’re using a stand mixer, that you use the whisk attachment.
- Make sure to add the vanilla extract and salt. That’s going to round out the taste.
- How long does whipped cream cheese frosting last? This frosting will last around five days or so, however it’s at its fluffiest the day you make it and the day after. It’s still very good for the rest of those days, but it just gets a little creamier.
- How do you store whipped cream cheese frosting? You’ll definitely want to store this covered in the fridge.
ITEMS AND TOOLS USED TO MAKE THE WHIPPED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- Whisk Attachment for the stand mixer (if you’re using a stand mixer)
- Vanilla Extract (I used this really tasty french vanilla extract)
- Piping bag
- Sprinkles (optional)
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 8 oz pkgs of cream cheese (softened, but not warm)
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups cold heavy cream (sometimes called whipping cream…NOT cool whip or ‘whipped’ cream)
- Add the cream cheese, confectioners sugar, vanilla and salt to a bowl.
- Use a whisk attachment if you’re using a stand mixer. If you don’t have a stand mixer, just use a regular handheld mixer and mix it very well until smooth and creamy.
- Now, you’ll add in your heavy cream, but only a small amount at a time. You’ll add it in four parts as follows:
- Pour in a small amount of the cold heavy cream. (Only pour in about a 1/4 cup at this point.) Mix well until creamy.
- Pour in a bit more of the heavy cream and mix that until very creamy. (You’re slowly adding in the heavy cream, so that the mixture doesn’t become lumpy.)
- Do this two more times (until the rest of the heavy cream is all added).
- Once everything is incorporated, whip on high until stiff peaks form (about a couple minutes).
- Add to a cooled cake or cupcakes.
GET THE FREE DESIGNED PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING PLUS THE PASSWORD TO THE RESOURCE LIBRARY. Just fill out the form below!
OTHER RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Ok, let me know what you think! I could not keep myself out of this stuff. I ate it like it was pudding…straight out of the bowl. (Not a proud moment.)
DON’T FORGET TO PIN IT BELOW!