This cannoli crumb cake is a rich vanilla cake with pockets of cream cheese nestled throughout. The cannoli part comes from the fact that you’ll also add in a touch of cinnamon and mini chocolate chips to the cream cheese mixture.
It’s then topped with a brown sugar, cinnamon and mini chocolate chip crumble making it the perfect crumb or coffee cake.
Awhile back, a subscriber requested a good coffee cake recipe. I thought that was a great idea, but I didn’t want to just make any old coffee cake.
I LOVE cream cheese and I wanted a way to incorporate that into a cake. I’m also pretty partial to cinnamon and chocolate chips, so I thought, why not add it all together and I came up with this Cannoli Crumb Cake.
Now, you may be asking, why did you name it cannoli crumb cake instead of coffee cake? Ok, here’s why: When I test out new recipes, I usually give some away to as many people that will take it.
I find that most people love being guinea pigs when it’s cake they’re trying out. My son and step-sons are always the first to try them and they’re always very nice with their comments, but I also like getting more ‘constructive’ feedback. For that, I turn to friends.
They’re always very willing to try out new recipes and they give HONEST feedback. So, back to why I named this a crumb cake instead of a coffee cake.
When I started handing out the cake, I called it Cannoli Coffee Cake and several people said they’d never had cake with coffee in it. Well, that’s not really what coffee cake is. It’s more of a cake you’d eat at breakfast with a cup of coffee. There’s no coffee actually in it.
So, to avoid any confusion, I decided to go with Cannoli Crumb Cake. Crumb cake, coffee cake…they’re really pretty much the same.
Alright, let’s get to what is actually in this cake. The cake is a rich vanilla cake with pockets of cream cheese nestled throughout.
The cannoli part comes from the fact that you’ll also add in a touch of cinnamon and mini chocolate chips to the cream cheese mixture. The cake is then topped with a brown sugar, cinnamon and mini chocolate chip crumble. It’s so rich and so good.
Now traditionally a cannoli is made with ricotta cheese, but cream cheese just seemed like a better idea to me and the richness and flavor it adds to the cake, just makes it so good.
Eat it while drinking coffee and call it a coffee cake, or eat it alone and call it crumb cake…it’s your call!
Ok, on to the recipe:
Cannoli Crumb Cake
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan well and set aside. Before preparing the cake batter, you’ll need to prepare the cream cheese filling and crumb topping
Cream Cheese Filling:
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add in the the sugar, egg, cinnamon and mini chips and mix well. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and melted butter, Mix well. Add in the mini chocolate chips and mix again. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla. Whisk well.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and mix until all incorporated.
- Add in the softened butter and mix until incorporated.
- Pour half of the batter into a 13 x 9 inch pan. Add the cream cheese filling by spoonfuls onto the batter. Top with the second half of the cake batter. Use a knife to swirl the batter just a bit.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the entire cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 – 50 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack completely before serving.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I will receive a referral commission, at no additional cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Items & Tools:
Don’t Forget to Pin it for Later!