This cannoli crumb cake is a rich vanilla cake with pockets of cream cheese nestled throughout. The cannoli part comes from the fact that you’ll also add in a touch of cinnamon and mini chocolate chips to the cream cheese mixture.
It’s then topped with a brown sugar, cinnamon and mini chocolate chip crumble making it the perfect crumb or coffee cake.
Awhile back, a subscriber requested a good coffee cake recipe. I thought that was a great idea, but I didn’t want to just make any old coffee cake.
I LOVE cream cheese and I wanted a way to incorporate that into a cake. I’m also pretty partial to cinnamon and chocolate chips, so I thought, why not add it all together and I came up with this Cannoli Crumb Cake.
Now, you may be asking, why did you name it cannoli crumb cake instead of coffee cake? Ok, here’s why: When I test out new recipes, I usually give some away to as many people that will take it.
I find that most people love being guinea pigs when it’s cake they’re trying out. My son and step-sons are always the first to try them and they’re always very nice with their comments, but I also like getting more ‘constructive’ feedback. For that, I turn to friends.
They’re always very willing to try out new recipes and they give HONEST feedback. So, back to why I named this a crumb cake instead of a coffee cake.
When I started handing out the cake, I called it Cannoli Coffee Cake and several people said they’d never had cake with coffee in it. Well, that’s not really what coffee cake is. It’s more of a cake you’d eat at breakfast with a cup of coffee. There’s no coffee actually in it.
So, to avoid any confusion, I decided to go with Cannoli Crumb Cake. Crumb cake, coffee cake…they’re really pretty much the same.
Alright, let’s get to what is actually in this cake. The cake is a rich vanilla cake with pockets of cream cheese nestled throughout.
The cannoli part comes from the fact that you’ll also add in a touch of cinnamon and mini chocolate chips to the cream cheese mixture. The cake is then topped with a brown sugar, cinnamon and mini chocolate chip crumble. It’s so rich and so good.
Now traditionally a cannoli is made with ricotta cheese, but cream cheese just seemed like a better idea to me and the richness and flavor it adds to the cake, just makes it so good.
Eat it while drinking coffee and call it a coffee cake, or eat it alone and call it crumb cake…it’s your call!
Ok, on to the recipe:
Cannoli Crumb Cake
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup softened butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan well and set aside. Before preparing the cake batter, you’ll need to prepare the cream cheese filling and crumb topping
Cream Cheese Filling:
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add in the the sugar, egg, cinnamon and mini chips and mix well. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and melted butter, Mix well. Add in the mini chocolate chips and mix again. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla. Whisk well.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and mix until all incorporated.
- Add in the softened butter and mix until incorporated.
- Pour half of the batter into a 13 x 9 inch pan. Add the cream cheese filling by spoonfuls onto the batter. Top with the second half of the cake batter. Use a knife to swirl the batter just a bit.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the entire cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 – 50 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack completely before serving.
I’d love for you to share this recipe link, but please do not share screenshots or copy/paste the recipe to social media as the content and photographs are copyright protected and us bloggers work really hard on our content. Sharing the link and pinning it is super appreciated though!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. You can see links to my website policies in the footer.
Items & Tools:
Other Posts You Might Like:
Don’t Forget to Pin it for Later!