This homemade funfetti bundt cake is so easy to make. Using a cake mix as the base, you’ll add other ingredients and sprinkles to make the perfect, scratch tasting, yet easy cake. It’s the perfect moist cake for birthdays or really any occasion.
Hey there! Before you scroll, there’s lot’s of important stuff in the post!…including the FAQ section, which may answer any questions you might have about this recipe. Enjoy!
Today I’ve got a fun and easy cake recipe for you. It’s a cake mix based recipe, but we’re adding things to it and you would never know it started off with a cake mix. It’s seriously that good and that homemade tasting.
I love scratch cakes, but I will admit I also love a cake mix based cake as well. Now, I don’t really like cakes that are just made strictly from a box, but I do find that some of the doctored cake mix cakes are actually very good. I’m not really a cake snob in that respect. (Now when it comes to buying a cheap grocery store cake, that’s another story.)
Anyway, I know I’m not alone in this as I’ve had people ask me for some easier, cake mix based options. Now, I like to give options to people and frankly, I’m always up for experimenting with cake. 🙂
This one is really moist and rich and truly easy to put together. It’s one of those cakes that’s just perfect to take to a potluck or birthday etc. It just travels well.
LET’S TALK A LITTLE ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS FOR THE FUNFETTI BUNDT CAKE:
WHITE CAKE MIX: We’re starting with a white cake mix as the base. I went with a plain white cake mix instead of a funfetti one because I wanted to control the amount of sprinkles I added to it later. You could probably use a funfetti mix here, but I tested it with a plain white cake mix.
CREAM CHEESE: Cream cheese just kicks up the richness a notch. It also helps to give it that pound cake texture.
THE EXTRACTS: I’ve included vanilla, almond and lemon extracts in this recipe because that’s what helps it taste like a true scratch cake. The lemon extract isn’t going to give it a lemon flavor…there’s not enough of it. It just gives it a hint of it and when combined with vanilla, well it’s just really good.
WHITE CHOCOLATE PUDDING MIX: A pudding mix never hurts, right? It adds a bit of extra flavor to the cake and helps to give the cake a pound cake like texture.
RAINBOW JIMMIES: You’ll want to use ‘jimmies’ here and not the tiny little round sprinkles. Those little round sprinkles will bleed color all over your cake batter. The jimmies won’t do that.
EGG WHITES: You’ll be using egg whites in this recipe instead of whole eggs because you want to keep the base color of the cake white, so the sprinkles will stand out.
MIXING METHOD FOR THE FUNFETTI BUNDT CAKE:
The mixing method for this cake is super easy and straight forward. It’s essentially the dump it method. You’ll just mix up the butter and cream cheese first, then dump everything else in and mix. Easy, right?
TIPS & FAQs FOR THE FUNFETTI BUNDT CAKE:
I would suggest it if you can get it. I haven’t tested this recipe out without the cream cheese, so I’m not sure what the final product will be like. The cream cheese does help give the cake a nice pound cake texture though.
It’ll probably be okay if you don’t use it, but it does add additional flavor and it helps give the cake a pound cake texture. If you can’t find white chocolate pudding mix, you can always use vanilla instead, it just might give it a slightly more yellow tint to it.
Probably, I just wanted to control the amount of sprinkles in my cake and I wanted nice quality sprinkles. I haven’t tested this recipe out using the funfetti cake mix, but I would think it would be fine to use.
Spoon it into your measuring cup to measure.
The rainbow sprinkles will bleed color into your cake batter. The jimmies won’t do that like the sprinkles can.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. You can see links to my website policies in the footer.
SUPPLIES USED FOR THE FUNFETTI BUNDT CAKE:
Ok let’s get to the recipe!
**By the way, this recipe was developed and tested using volume measurements (cups etc.). I do this because most people are used to measuring, instead of weighing. You may use the metric converter button to see the weight (gram) measurements. Those numbers are estimates on weight. Your results may vary a bit if you use the weight measurements.
Funfetti Bundt Cake (A Doctored Cake Mix Recipe)
For the cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1 8 oz pkg. cream cheese (room temp)
- 2 tsps clear vanilla extract (or regular vanilla extract if you don't have clear)
- 1/4 tsp almond emulsion (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 3.4 oz. pkg. white chocolate instant pudding mix (dry)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3/4 cup rainbow jimmies
For the Glaze:
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract (or regular if you don't have clear)
- 1/3 cup milk (or cream)
- pinch of salt
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10″ bundt pan very well.
- Mix butter, cream cheese and extracts very well until completely smooth.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix on medium to medium/high until well incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Stir in the rainbow jimmies.
- Add to prepared pan and smooth the batter even.
- Bake at 325 for 60-65 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes, then turn out of the pan onto the wire rack and cool completely before adding a glaze or powdered sugar.
For the glaze:
- In a mixing bowl, add in the confectioners sugar, extract, milk and pinch of salt. Mix well until smooth.
- Check the consistency. If it’s too thick for drizzling, add more milk or cream by tablespoon until desired consistency. If it’s too thin, add in another cup of confectioner’s sugar.
- Drizzle over cooled cake.
GET THE FREE DESIGNED PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD FOR THE FUNFETTI BUNDT CAKE PLUS THE PASSWORD TO THE RESOURCE LIBRARY. Just fill out the form below!
OTHER POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE:
Don’t Forget to Pin it Below!