This pumpkin toffee crunch cake is like a mouth full of fall. Not only is this cake super moist with tons of pumpkin flavor, but it’s got bits of crunchy, buttery toffee throughout it, then it’s covered in a delicious cinnamon cream cheese buttercream.
I’m not sure how much I’m allowed to brag about something I made before it starts sounding obnoxious, but I am IN LOVE with this cake. I have my cake flavor favorites and honestly I never thought that a pumpkin cake would be at the top of that list…until I made this one.
I did not skimp on the ingredients with this one and it is definitely NOT on anyone’s ‘okay to eat on a diet’ list. But THAT is what makes it a special treat.
You don’t want to go substituting or attempting to lessen some of the ingredients with this one, because you may not get the same results. I challenge you to just try it as written and see what you think. I’m just sayin’ I think it’ll knock your socks off just as it is.
There’re no crazy ingredients in this one. You’ll be using pumpkin (I just used the canned pumpkin), pumpkin pie spice (and I’ve got a substitution for that in the printable recipe), all the usual cake ingredients and you’ll be adding chopped toffee bits. I just bought one small bag of toffee bits and it was enough to use in my cake and as garnish.
The mixing method for this cake is really straight forward as well. No alternating ingredients on this one. You’ll just add your dry ingredients to one bowl, liquid in the other bowl and mix. Simple, right?
This cake really is very simple to mix up. So simple in fact, that you could even use a wooden spoon if you wanted to.
So, if you’re not a fan of pumpkin, I’m not gonna try to convince you that you MUST try this out. Ok, that’s not true…I AM gonna try to convince you and here’s why. A lot of people say they won’t like pumpkin cake because they don’t like pumpkin pie. Well, I don’t like pumpkin pie either, but this cake is nothing like that.
I had two people try it out who said to me that they didn’t like pumpkin because they didn’t like pumpkin pie, but both those people loved this cake. One of those people was my husband who went on and on about it and he doesn’t even like sweets! You should have seen his face when I told him it was all gone!
So, I’m just sayin’ try it out…even if you’re not a fan of pumpkin pie. You might surprise yourself.
Now let’s get to the recipe…(there’s also a video after the recipe).
Pumpkin Toffee Crunch Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Buttercream
For the cake:
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, you can substitute with: 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon,1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon cloves and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup regular sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 15 oz can solid pack pumpkin
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1 cup chopped toffee bits (I used Heath Bits O' Brickle)
For the buttercream:
- 1 1/2 cups butter (unsalted, room temp.)
- 1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 7 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tbsp milk or cream (can use more if needed to reach the correct consistency)
- 1 cup chopped toffee bits for sprinkling (just use the rest that's leftover in the bag.)
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two, 8 inch round pans.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in a large bowl. Whisk well and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the brown sugar, regular sugar, eggs, oil, pumpkin and vanilla extract. Whisk well.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture and mix on medium until combined. You can use an electric mixer on medium or just a wooden spoon to mix if you want. Just mix until well incorporated. You don't want to over mix the batter.
- Stir in the chopped toffee bits.
- Spread the batter into the pans.
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 min
- Cool cake layers in their pans, on a cooling rack, for about 15 minutes. Then turn out of the pans and directly onto the racks and cool completely before adding buttercream.
For the buttercream:
- In a bowl, add the butter and mix well with an electric mixer.
- Add the cream cheese and mix well on medium.
- Add in the salt, cinnamon, vanilla and three cups of confectioners sugar.
- Mix on medium.
- Add in the last four cups of confectioners sugar and a 1/2 tablespoon of milk and mix well on medium.
- Check the consistency. If it's too thick, add in another 1/2 tablespoon of cream or milk and mix well.
Putting the cake together:
- Add a cake layer to your cake board or cake plate.
- Cover that layer with buttercream.
- Sprinkle toffee bits over the buttercream.
- Set the next layer of cake over the previous layer and cover the entire cake with the buttercream.
- Sprinkle the top with any remaining toffee bits.
Here’s the video on how to make the Pumpkin Toffee Cake:
This post contains affiliate links, which means I will receive a referral commission, at no additional cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Supplies Used for the Pumpkin Toffee Cake:
- KitchenAid Hand Mixer
- Pans: Wilton 8″ pans or Magic Line 8″ pans
- Vanilla Bean Paste
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Heath Toffee Bits
- Cooling Racks
- Small Icing Spatula
- Large Icing Spatula
Other Fall Recipes You Might Enjoy: