Insanely easy apple spice cake with only a few ingredients
This easy apple spice cake is so simple to make. It’s a cake mix based recipe, so it only takes a few ingredients and mixes together super fast.
This cake is amazing and doesn’t taste like a cake mix cake at all. Top it with cream cheese buttercream and everyone will love it.
Hey there! Before you scroll, there’s lot’s of important stuff in the post!…including the FAQ section, which may answer any questions you might have about this recipe. Enjoy!
You do NOT have to spend hours in the kitchen in order to create a really tasty fall cake.
This cake mix based recipe will give you a super moist cake that doesn’t taste like a cake mix and it comes together really quickly.
You can just add a glaze if you want, but cream cheese buttercream is amazing on this cake though.
Let’s Talk About Some of The Ingredients in this Cake:
Spice Cake: You’ll need a spice cake mix for this recipe. Starting with a cake mix is what makes this recipe super quick, easy and fail-proof.
Now sometimes spice cake mixes are hard to find, so if you can’t find one, you can use a yellow cake mix with some spice additions, which I’ll have for you in the recipe card below.
You also will not be adding in any of the ingredients that are listed on the back of the cake box, so just ignore the ingredients and instructions listed on the back of the box.
Apple Pie Filling: You’ll use an entire 21 oz. can of apple pie filling. Make sure it’s not just canned apples. It needs to be apple pie filling.
Eggs: You’ll need three large eggs for this cake.
Cream Cheese Buttercream: This is optional, but it’s SO good on this cake. You could also just use a cream cheese drizzle or glaze if you want to.
Note: You will only add in those three ingredients. You won’t be adding in anything else to make the cake, so don’t pay any attention to the instructions on the back of the cake mix box.
The recipe card close to the end of this post will go into all the ingredients and amounts.
Mixing Method for this cake:
Ok, the mixing method for this cake is what I call the ‘dump it’ method. Seriously all you have to do is dump the ingredients and mix. That’s it.
Tips & FAQs for making the Easy Apple Spice Cake:
You can use a yellow cake mix and then add in 2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ginger and ½ teaspoon cloves
It probably doesn’t matter which brand, but make sure you get the large 21 oz. can of apple pie filling. You don’t want just plain canned apples. You want the actual pie filling.
Ok let’s get to the recipe!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Note About How I Write Recipes: I write recipes using volume (cups) measurements because here in the U.S., this is what people are more familiar with and I don’t want anyone to feel intimidated when baking. For metric measurements, click the ‘metric’ button under the ingredients in the recipe card below. The weights are converted by a program, not me, and it’s just a best guess. Please note that because I develop recipes using volume measurements, I can’t guarantee that weighing the ingredients will produce the exact same results.
Easy Apple Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Buttercream
For the cake:
For the cream cheese buttercream:
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar (may add another cup if needed to thicken the buttercream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (may add an extra teaspoon for even more flavor)
- jar caramel topping (optional for drizzling on top)
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13×9 inch glass pan with baking spray.
- In large bowl, add the dry cake mix, pie filling, eggs and vanilla. Mix for about 2 minutes. The batter will be thick. (Do not add any of the ingredients on the back of the cake mix box. Only mix together the dry cake mix, pie filling, eggs and vanilla.)
- Spread the batter into the pan and smooth.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes. Cool cake before adding cream cheese buttercream.
For the cream cheese buttercream:
- Mix your butter and cream cheese together in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add three cups of confectioner's sugar and mix well.
- Check your consistency. If the buttercream feels too thin, add another cup of confectioner's sugar. If it’s feels too thick, just add in a teaspoon of milk and mix again until smooth.
- Spread the buttercream over the cooled cake. Optional: Drizzle with caramel topping.
How to Share
I’d love for you to share this recipe link or tag it, but please do not share screenshots or copy/paste the recipe to social media as the content and photographs are copyright protected and we (bloggers) work really hard on our content. Sharing the link, tagging us on socials and pinning it is super appreciated though!
Other Posts You Might Like:
Don’t forget to pin it below!